+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Verzion Free Express Network Info

I just got off the phone with verizon.... there is a per minute plan that they offer..... what some people may not realize is they charge a $0.015 per Kilobyte charge. This information came from Verizon. Can anyone confirm this from their bill? It seems that its a low enough charge that it could go unnoticed on light usage...

Never Forget 9/11/01 kerryclair's Avatar
    Not true.
    I find that the Verizon reps know just about NOTHING in regards to their own network. I have had the phone a year and a half now, use data calls all the time ... never anything extra on my bill. Just minutes used as if I was making a phone call.

Never Forget 9/11/01 kerryclair's Avatar
    To add to that, when I first called Verizon after getting my phone, they said I had to pay extra for internet service. Not true. Phone worked right out of the box.

Then they told me I was not covered for this phone by insurance...not true, had it replaced already this year.

Then I wanted my speed dial to call my voice mail AND enter my password for me...Verizon reps said it was not possible with this phone. Duh. Sure it is. Works fine.

Don't believe a word Verizon reps tells you.

Come here and ask.

I was just sharing what I was told, I havent had a bill yet. They just insisted I choose some sort of data plan to activate the phone. and this is what I chose. I wont know anymore until the bill comes.

Yeah VZW is apparently making people with PDA phones purchase a data plan. Others have posted that you can make them take it off as well with some persauding.
    mg
    edit: there is a very active thread in the i700 forum about this topic
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 01-23-2005 at 06:14 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

7135 ways my phone is better
    When I activated my 7135, the counter rep had to do the calls and such. She started to say that I HAD to get a data plan... then she covers the mouthpeice of her phone, and tells me I really don't have to get one to have it activated. Cute and honest, thats what I like about my local Verizon agent.

Re: Verzion Free Express Network Info

Originally posted by mangus580
    I just got off the phone with verizon.... there is a per minute plan that they offer..... what some people may not realize is they charge a $0.015 per Kilobyte charge. This information came from Verizon. Can anyone confirm this from their bill? It seems that its a low enough charge that it could go unnoticed on light usage...
    The "pay as you go" option is actually $0.0015/Kilobyte.

-Quick

I am on my 3rd 7135, and the last time I called to activate it, they had to add the data plan then take it off right away, because they said they needed to initially add it to program the phone. This time I activated, they kept saying I needed the data plan, so I was put on hold while she talked to the supervisor, and she came back and said she put me down as a pay as you go. I told her that I didn't want to pay for data, that I just wanted it to be billed as a regular call, she said that's what will happen. So will I be billed seperately for data now? Should I call back and tell them to take ALL data services off my plan? I don't understand why they have to make it so confusing. I wish they'd just come out with a reasonably priced unlimited data plan, that I would probably sign up for.

see my post from 12-18-2004 11:28 PM
    Data From Minutes Plan Ending
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

Ok. This is my understanding.

They have some phones (by ESN) categorized as "PDA phones". The billing/activation system is now set to *require* some sort of explicit data plan/option when activating a "PDA phone". This would be a payed type of data plan/option and not just having 1xRTT enabled.

One option is the "pay as you go" plan. It is $0.015/kilobyte. This is in addition to the minutes of use that come out of your voice plan the same as making a voice call.

I believed my very sincere sounding CSR who said that she couldn't add the data option, activate the phone, then remove the data option or change it to a no charge one (like the 1xRTT they enable for GIN phones). She said she had really tried when she screwed up by telling a customer there would be no change to that when changing plans and wasn't able to put it back for them after initiating it. This was the case with me. I wanted to change plans but didn't want to effect the 1xRTT (no charge, minutes only) I had on my current AC plan. She said fine then called me back 5 minutes later. She said that if she committed the change I would not be able to revert back to my original plan with the 1xRTT -- VZW has a policy where you can revert back to the plan you switched from within 30 days even if the plan you came from is no longer offered. So the way the system is set up currently is that if you have it on your AC plan currently it's fine. It will only impose the new requirements when changing plans or activating a phone. Something to keep in mind if you switch ESNs online.

-Quick
    Last edited by Quick; 01-28-2005 at 08:54 PM.

They did this to me, and slapped me with a 13,000 phone bill and a month before 1500. I was hella pissed. They gave me a credit for the 1500 and then this month its 13,000. They changed my plan when i got my replacement phone, and put me on 5mb plan without telling me. So i called 12/22 and my plan starts on 12/17. they gave me credit up to 12/17 but not the 5 days after, so now im tryin to get the rest credited to my account. Im still waiting for the rep to call me back again. BEWARE, make sure you know what plan your on and how they are billing you when u change ESN's

They changed my service to activate my phone and changed it back. When I called to activate it, they said" oh.. this is a smartphone, do you want a data plan?" I said no and they had trouble activating it. She had to have someone else help her. They had to activate it on a pda plan and then remove the data service and it worked just fine. I have had no data charges for any of data time. (I only use it for data nights & weekends, I am at a computer most other times anyway)
    Sandy Wagner

So, is the 7135 the only pda phone that can use data as minutes only without buying a data plan?

Its not a function of the device but of the cell plan you have.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I was on an America Choice plan with Express Network just using minutes. I updated my plan a couple of weeks ago, and they added the $25/month data-plan (!).

My first call to a representative said all they could do was lower me to a pay-as-you-go by the KB plan. Yuck. Went into the Verizon store, and the guy said "I was misinformed" and $25/month was as low as it would go. After telling him I knew that wasn't the case, he sent me to a conference room and had me call the Verizon Customer Service line. Odd reaction, I thought (not exactly customer-friendly -- I can call from home).

Anyway, the CSR I got on the phone said no problem and he would revert me back to the original data-setup. I can't verify it until I get the bill, but the moral of the story is...

Keep asking until you get the answer you want!

I'm in the same boat. I changed my plan in December and they added the $25/month plan on me. I called and they took it off. They then had me on the $.015/kb plan (January). I again said, that isn't what I had. They have since said they changed it back to MOU (February), but I have yet to see it in writing since I don't get the new bill until this week.

We'll see....

QNC Network

I had the data plan for $44.95 a month and found it to be an unnecessary expense. I switched to the Mobile Web at $4.99 a month and use the slower Quick 2 Net for internet access. QNC is on all Verizon pocket pc phones. I could probably get away without paying the $4.99 a month for internet access, but figure that as long as it's on my account, Verizon won't bother me. QNC works great for instant messaging with Agile Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger and AIM and for checking emails from Yahoo and Hotmail. I use www.skweezer.net to read larger webpages, since it quickly loads pages and "squeezes" them down into a single column format. I find I'm not wasting time while pages are loading. If you want to save yourself some money, and don't need a dedicated always on data plan, then make the switch. The problem with paying by the kilobyte, is every page is different in size, and what may seem like a small page may result in a big data bill later on.

www.skweezer.net is a pretty cool thing, I never knew about it.
    thanks

I just activated my new 7135, very exciting.

But, upon talking to verizon they explained me that I could NOT just pay the 4.99/month to access the web and get emails at slow speed.

they said I NEED the data plan.

I don t really need it though, slow speed is fine with me...

Now the rep who activated my phone said I should call the datasupport and talk to them (1-800-922-0204).
    what should I tell them to avoid paying too much for a service i dont really need.
    I will wait for answers from this forum (you guys know more than them most of the time ) before calling them.

(I mean I can check emails and access the web using the basic 4.99/month, correct?)

thanks for the help!

OK, Here's my 2 cents

I can add some of my experience.

I just switched to a Treo 600 from a Kyocera 7135. I was on "Renewal" which meant that I had no contract.
    When I ordered the Treo I specifically, categorically and exactly asked---Can I use the internet and have the the minutes taken out of my included airtime---with no kilobyte charge.
    I was told YES you can.
    I said are you SURE ?
    I was told YES.
    SO--I got the phone in the last Friday.
    I checked the network connections and low and behold, the TREO was LOCKED into the Express Network.
    I called and asked if I could get EN out of my minutes, and I was told no.
    I explained that I was told something different when I bought the phone.
    I was told NO by three representatives.
    After the fourth call this morning, I finally said, Hell, if I have to pay a data charge, I could go to Sprint and get the 650, a better unit.
    The CR got tech services on the line.
    With a lot of hemming and hawing, I was able to get a NEW qnc connection.

The EN connection is still locked, but I can use the qnc and that network comes out of my minutes with no additional data charge.

Incidentally, I loved my Kyocera. It seems, however, that the Treo on qnc is as fast as the 7135 was on EN. This leads me to believe that the handheld is the rate limiter, not the air connection.
    I don't have hard numbers, just my sense in how quickly things load. I have the same sense when I use the Treo as a modem.

Just my observations. I don't want to start a flame war.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy