Results 1 to 20 of 620
03-28-2006 02:18 PM #1
Windows Mobile 5 Install - SDave Version - Install questions ONLY
Ok folks, this has been tested, but of course this isn't perfect. I am waiting on the hosts to get the files and report back with their mirror information to make this complete but here are the instructions for the install. This thread will be opened as soon as the mirror information is posted and the files are ready.
Please read all of these instructions and make sure you know that you can brick your phone.
Also use this thread for help and problems with this build/instructions.
The newest set of instructions will be here, but there is also a copy of these in the ZIP file, but this thread will contain the NEWEST set, so refer back to here.
DO NOT PM SuperDave or Myself. ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE!
Last edited by mrailing; 03-28-2006 at 02:42 PM.
03-28-2006 02:18 PM #2
These instructions aren't full detailed instructions, but are about as close as we can get to an overall install of the WM5 ROM IMG install. This is also not the end all WM5 release from Verizon, this is a dump from a WM5 enabled i730, which means NOT everything will be updated, and you will still have to run the WM5 update when it's released. SuperDave, Myself (mrailing), anyone hosting the files, pdaphonehome.com and the owners/administrators/moderators, are not responsible for anything you happen to do to your i730 during this upgrade. You take full responsibility for anything happening to your phone and understand this is presented to you as is. If you do this after it's first posted, your are part of the testing process. In my professional opinion, you should wait for Verizon to release their "supported" WM5 software, so just be warned.
It works for both the YE05 and the YH25 firmware (provided you move over the dll that's included). So you need to make sure you know which firmware you are using. Click Start -> Settings -> Phone. Click the Security Tab, then Click Version. Look at the last 4 digits under the S/W Version and Phone. It should say YE05 or YH25, if it says something different, stop here. THIS DOES NOT WORK ON THE I830.
03-28-2006 02:19 PM #3
Pre-Loading the WM5 "ROM Dump" Upgrade
1. Make sure you battery is FULLY charged. I am not kidding here, do NOT attempt this unless your battery is fully charged. This is just in case you have to have it outside the cradle for an extended period.
2. Do a backup with Sprite. Although your won't be able to load this with WM5, it might be nice to have incase something happens and you can't get this loaded and for some reason it still has the same WM2003 on it but it got hard reset. So this is a JUST IN CASE backup.
3. You need to realize that this is not supported by Verizon, so don't call them, they can't/won't help you on this, and possibly you could brick your phone (meaning it turns in to an expensive paperweight) by loading this "unsupported" upgrade.
4. Obtain the main download that contains the files (5 files, 4 zipped files and this README.txt), and read this ENTIRE list of instructions before attempting. This way you know what's happening, and what you are going to need to do.
5. Make sure you have plenty of time. This isn't something you are going to want to rush, this is something you want to make sure you follow the steps.
6. Make sure your SD card is removed from the SD Slot.
7. AGAIN, THIS CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE! Be warned!
8. MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT YOUR CRADLE or CABLE DIRECTLY TO YOUR COMPUTER AND NOT THROUGH A USB HUB!
9. It's been determined that software that loads at boot can cause problems. MY SUGGESTION, do a Hard Reset before doing this procedure, this will make sure that all loading software is off the i730 and not interferring with the Install.
Last edited by mrailing; 03-28-2006 at 10:54 PM.
03-28-2006 02:19 PM #4
Download this file:
1. The SamsungPST Lite Software (samsungpstlite.zip)
2. The i730 PST Plugin for YE05 (i730pstpluginYE05.zip)
3. The i730 YH25 DLL (yh25dll.zip - This replaces the DLL in the PST Install if you have YH25 firmware.)
and lastly the WM5 Img
4. The WM5 IMG File (wm5img.zip)
You will also need to obtain the MCCI drivers found on Samsung's website.
You will also need to make sure you have ActiveSync 4.1 installed, as WM5 need this updated version
Last edited by mrailing; 01-21-2007 at 01:15 AM.
03-28-2006 02:19 PM #5
1. Install the Samsung USB Modem Drivers. You will need to reboot afterwards, so plan on this. (this is installed on the PC) (If you need additional help with this, check out Post #3 in the FAQ, it has step by step instructions for installing the phone as a USB Modem).
2. Install the PST Software. This will NOT place shortcuts in your Start Menu or on your desktop, so plan on navigating to the EXE file on your own. This is a step later. (this is installed on the PC)
3. Install the i730 PST Plugin. (this is installed on the PC)
4a. Create a shortcut to the EXE file, by default this file is located at (C:\program files\Samsung Electronics\SamsungPST\SamsungPSTLite.exe). Right click the file, say Copy, right click on your desktop and say Paste Shortcut.
4b. If you have YH25 firmware rename the file extension on "C:\program files\Samsung Electronics\SamsungPST\Models\SamsungPST_SCHI730.dll" to ".old". Extract the file from the YH25dll.zip to this directory.
5. Unzip the WM5 IMG file to your desktop for easy access.
6. Reboot your computer (just to make sure all files are set).
7. Sync your i730 one last time with your computer and make sure all of your files are backed up and stored on the PC.
8. Uncradle your i730 and soft reset it.
9. Once reset, put your phone in to USB Modem Mode (**PATH for YE05 or **UPATH for YH25, or with the shortcut). Recradle and make sure the computer finds the USB Modem drivers and installs them. Make sure it's done finding new hardware.
10. Take the phone out of the cradle and soft reset it again. Once in the OS, put the phone back in to USB Modem Mode (**PATH for firmware YE05 or **UPATH for firmware YH25).
11. Now before re-cradling the phone, UNINSTALL ActiveSync from the computer. It seems it might be interferring with the flash. So once it's uninstalled, reseat the i730 in the cradle (since it's in USB Modem mode, it won't matter that ActiveSync isn't on the computer). You should hear it connect, and it's now available as a USB Modem.
Last edited by mrailing; 04-03-2006 at 08:35 AM.
03-28-2006 02:19 PM #6
Loading the WM5 IMG
1. Open the PST Software with the shortcut you created on your desktop. You should see a picture of the i730 on the left side, and one line listed in the right window with SCH-I730 under the model number.
2. Double Click the line that says SCH-I730 and this will open the SamsungPST[Lite] - SCH-I730. You are presented with MANY buttons on the left hand side (Info, SW, PRL, ERI, Setting, Transfer).
3. Click the SW button on the left hand side. Now LOOK at the bottom status bar in the bottom right hand corner and pay attention to which COM port you are connected (currently mine says "Com4 Connected").
4. In the Drop Down list where it currently says "PHONE + PDA", drop this down and choose "PDA Only"/
5. Click the Open File Button and then navigate to the Desktop and click the IMG file on there (i730.2.6V.WM5.img), and click open. It should show up in the yellow box in the center.
6. Click the "Start Software Download" and you will be presented with a Port Setting Box. It should list the same port that connected in the bottom right hand corner, (in my case COM4), if not change it to that port, then click OK.
7. You are presented with an "Input MSL Code". This is the standard security code on your phone "000000" (six zeros). Unless you changed it at some point, enter 000000 (six zeros), then click OK.
8. You are now presented with a box that says "Click OK and then press the reset hole to continue downloading process. THIS IS THE TRICKY PART FOLKS AND YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO THIS A COUPLE OF TIMES.
(It has also been suggested that if you have a Paper Clip, you can bend it so you don't have to remove the i730 from the cradle and just hit the reset button, you don't have to remove it from the cradle, it just has to be reset).
Have the stylus handy before you click ok, and this is done QUICKLY. Click OK, pull the phone out of the cradle, hit the reset button, and QUICKLY QUICKLY QUICKLY put the phone back in the cradle. If it starts to boot the OS, then do it again, pull it out of the cradle, hit the reset button and recradle it QUICKLY. ONLY take it out of the cradle and soft reset if it boots into the OS. If you have done this a few times, and you get the message "[PDA]Device Not Found" then it timed out, click OK, close the PST software, and start back over at step 10 from the previous section where you have to switch the phone to USB Modem mode and then repeat these steps. This is the tricky part folks... If you have a MacMedia Cable, or a cable that provides both power and syncing capabilities, you might use it, as you can hit the reset button, without having to uncradle and recradle the phone. I had better luck with the cradle than I did with the MacMedia cable, but both connected.
9. If it works and once it connects you will be at the MITS screen (and it won't go to the "loading..." screen. It will seem to pause on the MITS screen for a while and in the bottom left of the SamsungPST you will see "[ PDA ] Please Wait !!!".
10. After about 2 minutes, it will change and say "Erasing Flash..." on the screen of the phone, and on the SamsungPST it will say [ PDA ] Transfering image in the bottom left corner.
11. This will take a while, probably around 5-10 minutes.
12. Then it will say "Flash Programming..." on the phone and on SamsungPST. This will take around 5 minutes,
13. Next message is "Calculate the checksum", and then you get a message on the screen "Flash programming complete" and the i730 will just reset itself to a white screen.
14. Don't panic, it will look like it locked up and just sit there. In the left bottom corner of PST it will say "Download Success". Now leave it at the white screen for AT LEAST 2 minutes. This was it will have time to load the ROM for sure.
15. Disconnect the cable and soft reset the phone. Leave it for 2 minutes to see if it starts "formatting Root..." If it still has a White screen after the 2 minutes, you need to perform a hard reset. The hard reset procedure has changed. Press and hold down the menu button (top left button above the calendar button) & hold down the slider, and press the soft reset button (KEEP HOLDING DOWN THE MENU BUTTON AND THE SLIDER EVEN AFTER PRESSING THE RESET BUTTON). This will reset the screen and you should now see a "Formatting Root..."
16. Formatting Root - This takes a while, like 3-5 minutes and then it will restart and you will get the Windows Mobile Welcome screen. Congrats, you now have WM5 on your i730...
Last edited by mrailing; 03-29-2006 at 11:53 PM.
03-28-2006 02:20 PM #7
A FEW SIDE NOTES - Followup information
1. This does not upgrade your radio, so you will still need to run the Official WM5 update when released.
2. This does not give you a boot loading image, which means you will have a WHITE screen when you soft reset.
3. You need ActiveSync 4.1 after the upgrade. See the download software section for a link to it.
4. DO NOT CONNECT THROUGH A USB HUB when attempting this.
5. When doing the Click OK and then resetting the Phone. Click the OK button, wait 10 seconds, then take the phone out of the cradle and try the reboot and back in cradle. The quickness is for the reboot and back in cradle, not in hitting the OK button to the reboot.
6. Hard reset, hold the slider and the menu button, press the reset, and CONTINUE to hold the slider and the menu button even after releasing the reset button.
7. It's been mentioned that software loading at boot might interfere with the loading of the IMG, so it's suggested that you do a Hard Reset before you try loading the IMG.
Last edited by mrailing; 03-28-2006 at 10:56 PM.
03-28-2006 02:57 PM #8
- Join Date
You guys seem pretty confident that there will be no problem with updating the phone with the "official" version once it comes out in 2 weeks. I'm relatively new to the i730 but I know that with previous PPC's (HP, Dell, etc) when they released OS upgrades it was a pre-packaged installer that would check the version of the OS that was currently installed and dump you out if it didn't like the results with some message like "this version is not able to be upgraded".
I realize nobody knows 100% what the official i730 WM5 upgrade is going to be like, but with previous Verizon i700 OS upgrades was it 'Blind' to the OS that was currently installed and would simply overwrite the ROM with whatever image was in the installer?
Last edited by EskimoPie; 03-28-2006 at 03:00 PM.
03-28-2006 03:01 PM #9
We just don't know, but then again, we will probably figure a way to hack it and install it if it doesn't work.
03-28-2006 03:02 PM #10
They may have a prepacked installer that does that. If so we can do another dump from a working phone and build a custom installer. It just depends on how far there willing to go.
03-28-2006 03:03 PM #11
Here use this:
To backup your original ROM. - I am not claming to know how to install this back once you back it up, atleast you'll have the original software somewhere .
Too bad I grabbed the i830!In the palm of my hand...
03-28-2006 03:05 PM #12
I have the original YE05 image. We could always go back to that.
03-28-2006 03:12 PM #13
Also please report back on how this went for you... Any changes to the instructions.... etc....
03-28-2006 03:24 PM #14
i sure am having a hell of a time getting the unplug/reset/plug in part to work...I'm using a lil'sync pro cable.
03-28-2006 03:25 PM #15
If you can reach the soft reset hole you dont need to disconnect the phone.
03-28-2006 03:26 PM #16
I'm at erasing flash screen, I'll edit this once I get a little farther.
EDIT - it just finished rebooting.... sitting at black screen now...
Screen changed to white - no text, just sitting there. Going to let it sit for awhile then soft reset.
Let it sit for about 5 minutes and did hard reset. Sitting at white screen....
Time for lunch
Also downloading Activesync 4.1 as I understand that's what I'll need to talk to the phone after this upgrade.
Last edited by mtxpert; 03-28-2006 at 03:41 PM.
03-28-2006 03:28 PM #17Originally Posted by mtxpert
Mrailing you may want to address this in your guide.
03-28-2006 03:29 PM #18
- Join Date
Any idea if the MSFP is included so we can test out the push email capabilities? I saw that Trinergy mentioned it in one of his posts but this is the feature I am really interested in so I wanted to ask about it specifically.
Thanks - mostly for this completely altruistic effort!
03-28-2006 03:30 PM #19
- Join Date
OK... This could have something to do with the fact that I just got a replacement I730 from verizon but when I type **7284 nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?
03-28-2006 03:31 PM #20
If your flashed to 2005,you dont have to do that anymore. Theres an app for it under settings.