+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

i500 as modem for Mac OS X

I want to use my i500 as a modem for my Ti Powerbook running OS X. Is this possible? How do I do it?

Thanks in advance

I have not done it myself, but I hear that this product makes it possible. I'm planning to purchase it to find out.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/mini...msung_i500.htm

~Dave

Re: i500 as modem for Mac OS X

Originally posted by dyuyeno
    I want to use my i500 as a modem for my Ti Powerbook running OS X. Is this possible? How do I do it?
    It's a piece of cake! Plug it in. Set up dialing for PPP via tha "Samsung CDMA Technologies" modem and dial #777 (no login or password) and you're in.

It's really that easy.

Gary

Where is "Samsung CDMA Tech. modem"?

Thanks for the advice. Under the long list of modems, running a Powerbook, OS X 10.2.6, I can't find the Samsung CDMA Tech. modem you mentioned. Do I have to download that somewhere so it shows up in the list? Or is another device equivalent? Or what? Many thanks.

The "Samsung CDMA Technologies" choice should be there when you plug your phone into your mac. In fact, the first time I plugged my phone into my mac, it asked me if I wanted to set up the software for the modem automatically.

Beware, I've heard that Sprint is charging additional charges for what they classify as "Mode abusers".

Re: Where is "Samsung CDMA Tech. modem"?

Originally posted by ratdog
    Thanks for the advice. Under the long list of modems, running a Powerbook, OS X 10.2.6, I can't find the Samsung CDMA Tech. modem you mentioned. Do I have to download that somewhere so it shows up in the list? Or is another device equivalent? Or what? Many thanks.
    It should just be there. Do an "about this mac" and see if it's hooked up to the USB port. Reboot if not there or reset the phone.

Gary

I do this with my Mac. I noticed it's slightly different in Jaguar (Mac OS 10.2.x) than it is in Panther (Mac OS 10.3.x).

In Jaguar I think it showed up on the Internet Connect panel. I recall that though the device identified itself as "Samsung CDMA Technologies", there's no modem listed for it (exactly) in the menu. Not to worry - that's just so it knows how to send a correct init string.

I think I picked "Sprint PCS" (maybe it said "Sprint PCS Vision") and the init string worked fine.

In Panther, you'll need to open the Network configuration panel after you plug the phone in. You'll get a notice that a new device was found (it wont display this message in regular "Internet connect" panel like it did on Jaguar. You DO need to configure some settings and hit apply. Then it will show up in the Internet Connect panel.

This is in Jaguar (but doesn't seem much different than panther to me):

Go to network preferences.
    Under Show, pick network configurations, click new and you should see "Samsung CDMA Technologies". Add it and make sure it's selected after it adds.

It should just work...

Gary

I tried to use my samsung as a modem after reading the posts here. my phone screen kept on popping the message that i need to exit from data applications in order to use this as a modem.
    i tried a couple of times and then suddenly the ibook crashed. i had to restart the ibook. Prelimanry tests seems to indicate no damage but i am afraid to try this again.

i am going to be travelling next weeek. i was eager to be able to use it to just check my emails and surf a little bit on the net required.

any suggestiosn as to where i can get detailed instructions?

Originally posted by sonalvivek
    I tried to use my samsung as a modem after reading the posts here. my phone screen kept on popping the message that i need to exit from data applications in order to use this as a modem.
    This seems a little inconsistant on my part. I generally go to an internet palm app and say "disconnect". Then it kicks right in. (This is the same message I got on my i330, but a totally different solution).

Sonalvivek: The crashing is reallly odd. You gave us no information on your configuration. How are you connecting them? What did you try? What OS version? The only information I can give you is the above.

Gary

I am using Panther 10.3.2
    using the cradle i connected the phone via a USB cable. after connections the "Samsung Internet Technologies" did show up on the list and I put in the #777 Each time the message on the phone would say i need to disconnect.......

i500 as a modem works fine for me. If you get the message that you need to quit your internet apps on your palm, just go into Blazer and disconnect. If this doesn't work, turn off and on your phone. After using the internet on my laptop (I'm heading down I-5 in Oregon as I type this using my i500 as my connection, actually) I always turn off and on the phone, as well. This has eliminated any problems I have experienced connecting to Vision on my phone after doing so on my laptop. Hope this helps!

Ezzelin:
    thx for taking the time to write the post. i sure am excited to try it out. will let you know if it works out

Angry

i very carefully tried to follow all the steps mentioned:
    but no LUCK

each time i click on the connect now button... it shows i am connecting to the PPP but then i get a window which says:

INTERNET CONNECT:
    the selected modem script cannot be used with your modem. Please verify your settings and try again.

is it possible this phone has a software update which disables the modem ....
    my phone says S/W version :
    S:i500.10 S:WF30

(PDA : 0306:3000 )

one last try:

I figured i was not selecting the sprint pcs vision modem in the modem tab. well i did that. so now i do get connected a t least the whole thing gets initialized

my phone screen would light up
    and the screen would say "connecting DATA CALL"

RECEIVING DATA TRANSMITTING DATA"

and then it o would just die.

the ibook screen would say.. "connecting using ppp....."

tried a lot of times without luck,

Re: one last try:

Originally posted by sonalvivek
    I figured i was not selecting the sprint pcs vision modem in the modem tab. well i did that. so now i do get connected a t least the whole thing gets initialized

my phone screen would light up
    and the screen would say "connecting DATA CALL"

RECEIVING DATA TRANSMITTING DATA"

and then it o would just die.

the ibook screen would say.. "connecting using ppp....."

tried a lot of times without luck,
    Try resetting the phone. I do that whenever it's acting up with the modem settings. I'll usually use x-master's soft reset option.

Gary

Gary:

It finally worked!! i did not have to rest the phone. but i do turn the phone off and then on again....

i went into phone prefrences from the Palm OS main menu screen. and then in the network prefrences i had to select the wireless modem.

that's it. it worked as a matter of fact i am sending you this msg while i am connected via the phone modem

sweeeeet!!!

thanks a lot for alll the help.

Thanks to all the tips in this thread, I can now get this to work!

Here are the steps I followed (based on OS X, Jaguar v10.2.8, a 15" PowerBook, and miniSync USB cable):

A. Set up i-500 as a modem on your Mac OS X machine:
    1. From Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    2. Click Network.
    3. From Show List, choose SAMSUNG CDMA Technologies.
    (If you don't see SAMSUNG listed, make sure your phone is connected to your computer via USB cable, then choose Applications > Internet Connect, and then click Edit. Your Mac should then automatically detect the phone.)
    4. Click the PPP tab.
    5. For Telephone Number, enter #777, click Apply Now.
    6. Click the Modem tab.
    7. From Modem list, choose Sprint PCS Vision, click Apply Now.

B. Connect your Mac computer via i-500 as modem:
    1. From i-500 Home menu, choose Preferences > Network.
    2. Click Disconnect.
    3. From Mac Finder, choose Applications > Internet Connect.
    4. From Configuration list, choose SAMSUNG CDMA Technologies.
    5. From Telephone Number list, choose #777 Main Number.
    6. Click Connect.

Hope this is helpful!
    Last edited by tanster; 02-25-2004 at 05:47 PM.
    :) Jennie

Thanks for the instructions! Works here -- good to know in case of net emergency
    --
    My i500 InfoPage: http://os9al.com/i500/

Schweet. Got it to work. Thanks everybody.

MM